After Choosing the Right Generator, it is time to start planning your project. This step is one of the most important steps outlined in our Free Buyer’s Guide, because project planning is key to a smooth installation.
Project planning and local permitting
Once your Generator Specialist has determined the correct generator size for your home, the next step in installation begins: project planning and local permitting. It is at this point that your dedicated specialist launches the complex legwork of determining which professional drawings, approvals, permits, surveys, and licensed contractors are needed. Specifically, the coordination and management of this complicated planning process can include:
- Official site and impervious surface surveys
- Professionally licensed contractors (e.g., electricians)
- Building permits issued by local governments
- Electrical and gas connections, natural or liquid propane (LP), and gas suppliers
- Boundary surveys and flood height elevation certificates
- The creation and submission of drawings and equipment specifications
Your Generator Specialist will work closely with both contractors and the local authorities who ensure compliance with all codes, standards, and laws. And, because the homeowner is usually required to be at home for all inspections, your specialist will coordinate with you to schedule each appointment.
Many homeowners are surprised at how much engineering is involved in the “Planning your project” phase of generator installation. But rest assured, you will have an experienced, knowledgeable, and dedicated specialist taking care of this process for you every step of the way.
After you have completed planning your project, you need to start Choosing and Preparing a Location.